Celebrating the holidays on a budget is easy in Omaha – there are dozens of free events, markets, and festive nights out in November and December. Here’s a rundown of all budget-friendly Christmas events in Omaha in 2023. Looking for the ultimate list of holiday events in Omaha?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
*** Want to add an event? Leave a comment with the details or email me at Kim (at) ohmyomaha (dot) com. Thanks!
Free holiday events in Omaha in 2023
- Santa’s Wonderland – Nov. 4 through Dec. 24, 2023 at Bass Pro Shops, 2901 Bass Pro Drive, Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Cabela’s, 12703 Westort Parkway, LaVista, Neb. Santa arrived extra early this year at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s! Reserve a time to see Santa online starting Oct. 29, and get a free picture with him. FREE
- Mulhalls’ Holiday Popup Series in Omaha – Saturdays, Nov. 4 through Dec. 16, 2023, from noon to 3 p.m. at Mulhalls, 3615 N. 120th St. Local makers and other small businesses will set up pop-up shops throughout the holidays. FREE
- Christmas in Olde Towne Holiday Lights & Music Show – Nov. 23, 2023 through Jan. 6, 2024 at Washington Park, 1943 Franklin St., Bellevue, Neb. The hours are Sundays through Thursday from 6 to 10 p.m., and Friday & Saturday from 5 to 10 p.m. A show for people with sensitivities to flashing lights and sounds on Sundays through Thursdays that runs from 5 to 6 p.m. FREE
- Lights of Aksarben Tree Lighting – Nov. 24, 2023 from 5 to 8 p.m. Stinson Park at Aksarben Village, 2232 S. 64th St., Omaha, Neb. After that, free Lights of Aksarben activities will be held Friday nights from 5 to 8 p.m. on Dec. 1 & 8, as well.
- Holiday Lights – Gene Leahy Mall every Friday and Saturday throughout the holiday season.
- Complimentary Horse and Carriage Rides – Nov. 25 through Dec. 23 at Village Pointe Shopping Center, 17305 Davenport St., Omaha. Pick up and drop off location is in front of Marcus Theaters. FREE
- Holly Days – Dec. 2 & 9 from 2 to 6 p.m. at Heartland of America Park at The RiverFront, around 8th and Farnam streets, Omaha. Festivities include live music, Santa’s reindeer, storytelling, a scavenger hunt, and roasting marshmallows at the fire pits. FREE
- Santa at the Orchard – Dec. 3 & 10, 1 to 3 p.m. at Ditmars Orchard & Vineyard, 19475 225th St., Council Bluffs, Iowa. FREE
- Dinner with Santa Cow – Dec. 5 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Chick-fil-A, 8710 S. 71st Plaza, Papillion, Neb. Event includes free face painting, a photo op with Santa Cow, a free cookie for kids, and some extra little surprises. FREE (food available for purchase)
- Storytime: Christmas at the Market – Dec. 7 at 10 a.m. at Barreras Farm Market, 14449 F St. Includes ornament making. FREE
- Chanukah Kickoff – Dec. 7 at 5 p.m. at Stinson Park at Aksarben Village, 2232 S. 64th St. FREE
- Holiday Party at Trucks & Taps – Dec. 9 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at 5402 S. 108th St. Cookie decorating kits available (while supplies last) and meet Santa & the Grinch from noon to 3 p.m. FREE
- Once Upon A December Concert – Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 925 S. 84th St., Omaha. Get into the Christmas spirit as the River City Ringers present their holiday concert, “Once Upon a December.” FREE
- Second Saturday Holiday String Duet – Dec. 9 at 3 p.m. at Scriptown Brewing Co., 3922 Farnam St. FREE
- Stroll Down Gingerbread Lane – Dec. 9 & 10 from 1 to 5 p.m. at Papillion Area Historical Society, 242 N. Jefferson St., Papillion, Neb. The ornately decorated gingerbread houses are crafted by the community & by Culinary Arts students from Papillion LaVista Community School District and will be raffled off. All proceeds go towards the upkeep of the Historic Portal School. FREE
- Outdoor Holiday Market – Dec. 10 from noon to 4 p.m. outside at Crescent Moon Ale House/Huber Haus Bier Hall, Omaha. Shop the vendor tables while listening to some of holiday music and stop by one of the fire pits for a quick warm up. Sip on German Gluhwein, Peppermint Hot Cocoa and Holiday Beers. There will also be roasted Bavarian Candied Nuts, Bratwurst and other street foods. I’ve been there before, and it’s kinda like a small-scale holiday market with fantastic boozy drinks to keep you warm. FREE
- Hanukkah Extravaganza – Dec. 10 at 1:30 p.m. at Jewish Federation of Omaha, 333 S. 132nd St., Omaha. Activities include bounce houses, games, arts & crafts, The Latke Truck, Hanukkah cookie decorating, and more. FREE (reservations requested)
- Christmas Bingo & Photos With the Grinch – Dec. 15 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Infusion Brewing Co. Southwest, 6271 S. 118th St., Omaha. A family-friendly evening at the brewery! Bingo is free to play with purchase of a drink. Presents are under the tree for bingo winners and all kids. Kids also receive coloring pages. FREE
- Christmas Movies and Music Trivia – Dec. 20, 2023 from 7 to 10 p.m. at Observatory Bar & Grill, 14525 West Center Road, Omaha. There will be four rounds with five questions each of Christmas Movies and Music. At the end, bet all or nothing for a Jeopardy0style question! Trivia nights are FREE to play and can have up to six people per team! In addition to some awesome prizes, the overall first place team will receive a $30 gift certificate; the overall second place team will receive a $20 gift certificate, and the overall third place team will receive a $10 gift certificate! FREE
Free holiday lights displays in Omaha
- Season of Lights – Nov. 12 through Feb. 14, 2024 at Turner Park at Midtown Crossing, 31st and Farnam streets, Omaha. There will be thousands of lights adorning trees at Turner Park and along Farnam Street. FREE
- Holiday Lights Festival Lighting Displays – Nov. 25 through Jan. 8, 2024. Gorgeous light displays in four iconic areas of Omaha: Omaha RiverFront (Gene Leahy Mall, Heartland of America Park & Lewis & Clark Landing), Old Market (10th to 13th streets, and from Harney to Jackson streets), North Omaha (six-block area around 24th and Lake streets) and South Omaha (24th Street between L and Q streets). FREE