Valentine’s Day can be as big or as low-key as you want in Omaha. In fact, many early February events planned involve Galentine’s Day themes or completely platonic hearts and crafts. If you want an extra romantic Valentine’s Day, though, you’ll need to start planning early so read on. And if you just want an excuse for a sweet treat or drink, that’s on this Valentine’s Day list, too.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
UPDATES: I’ll add more events as they’re announced. If you have an event you’d like to add to this list, please email me at Kim (at) ohmyomaha (dot) com, or leave a comment. Thanks!
Valentine’s Day date ideas
Valentine’s Day 2023 is on a Tuesday, so many people are going to plan dates for either that day (the 14th) or for the weekend before. With that in mind, if it’s possible to make a reservation, I highly recommend making that reservation at least two weeks in advance.
- Romantic restaurants in Omaha for Valentine’s Day dates
- Dates for under $50
- Fun date night ideas in Omaha
Special Valentine’s Day events in 2023
Below are events with Valentine’s Day themed activities or events held on Valentine’s Day. Read them carefully because some of these require pre-registration.
Note: Not all of these are 21+ or romantic Valentine’s Day events. Some of these events are perfectly fine for families and kids.
- Cupid’s Corner, a Valentine pop-up cocktail bar, will be open at Crescent Moon, 3578 Farnam St., on Friday and Saturday nights from 6 p.m. to midnight on Feb. 3-11, and on Feb. 14.
- A DIY Greeting Card Workshop is on Feb. 4 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Hot Shops Art Center in Studio 219, 1301 Nicholas St. Jennifer Young of J.Diane Creations will instruct on how to hand-cut greeting cards for special occasions including Valentine’s Day. Supplies and light refreshments provided. Cost is $35 per person.
- Learn to make a Valentine Heart Garland on Feb. 4 from noon to 3 p.m. at Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St. Learn all the basic stitches of crochet: chain, slip stitch, single, double, and triple crochet. This is a fun class for all levels. Participants will need to bring worsted weight yarn and a size F (3.75mm) crochet hook. Pre-registration is required; cost is $40 for non-members and $30 for garden members.
- Baked By Sweet Melissa will hold a Valentine’s Day Cookie Decorating Class on Feb. 5 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at Edge of the Universe, 6070 Maple St. Decorate a dozen cookies (materials and supplies will be provided). Open to all ages, though anyone under 12 will need a guardian present. Cost is $60 per person.
- Learn to make a Candy Bar Bouquet on Feb. 6 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St. In this Valentine’s Day themed class, drop the flowers and design with candy. Your “arrangement” will make a great gift for a friend or that special someone. Taught by Karen Vice. Pre-registration is required; cost is $65 for non-members and $55 for garden members.
- A Valentine’s Day Themed Beer Tasting hosted by Beertopia at Max & Joe’s Tavern and Tasting Room, 3576 Farnam St., will be Feb. 9 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Enjoy six 4-oz Valentine’s Day themed beer samples paired with “Cupid Approved” small plate bites. Cost is $22 per person. Limited seating, so make reservations in advance.
- Senior Valentines Day Brunch is Feb. 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Papillion Landing Community Recreation Center, 1046 W. Lincoln St., Papillion, Neb. Open to ages 55+. More details and cost TBD.
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium hosts two nights of Shark-uterie for ages 21+ on Feb. 10 and 11 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Take a bite out of love, or just your favorite cheese, at Shark-uterie – a charcuterie board-making class, which includes cocktails under the sea as well as a behind-the-scenes tour of the Scott Aquarium. Cost is per couple: Members are $180 per couple and non-members are $200 per couple.
- Union Pacific Museum, 200 Pearl St., Council Bluffs, Iowa will have make-and-take Valentine’s Day crafts on Feb. 11 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., as well as a scavenger hunt. FREE
- Sips With Sweethearts Pop-Up Shop is Feb. 11 from 1 to 5 p.m. at The Living Room in the Mastercraft Building, 1111 N. 13th St. (Arrow Door 2). Mingle and sip on mocktails (non-alcoholic drinks) while shopping from 40+ local small businesses, enjoy live music, food, raffle prizes, and fun activities. Entry is FREE; donations accepted.
- A Valentines Day Dinner and Tasting presented by Harp & Fare will be held at The Dubliner Pub, 1205 Harney St., on Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. Options include a three-course dinner for two with an Irish beer flight or various Irish whiskey flights. Live music by pianist Dwayne Wilson. Price starts at $100.
- Valentine’s at The Granary, 7401 Main St., Ralston, Neb., will be held on Feb. 11 and 14 at 6 and 8 p.m. It includes five wine tastings and small bite pairings, an artisan market, live music, art exhibits, and a Photo Booth. Tables of various sizes for groups available; a table for two is $99.
- A Little Dinner Music: For You and Your Valentine is at Joslyn Castle & Gardens, 3902 Davenport St., on Feb. 11 starting at 7 p.m. (dinner served at 7:30). Dine at a private table nestled within the castle’s storied halls, accompanied by a performance from celebrated harpist Katie Wychulis. Tickets are $100 per person.
- There will be two seatings for the Valentine’s Day Tea at The Bubbly Tart, 3020 Leavenworth St., on Feb. 12: 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and noon to 1:30 p.m. The full tea includes includes tea sandwiches, scones, other miniature sweets, and a variety of tea. Tickets are $55 per person, plus tax. Reservations may be made via email at email@example.com.
- Felius Cat Cafe has a Valentine’s Day Special for Feb. 14: One-hour cat cuddle session plus coffee bar drink for two for only $35. Appointments must be made in advance.
- Valentine’s Day Date Night Watercolor session is Feb. 14 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Local Makers Collective, 14232 U St.
- Romantic Comedies Trivia is at Goldeez, 5502 N. 103rd St., on Feb. 14 from 7 to 9 p.m. There will be four rounds, and at the end, bet all or nothing for a Jeopardy-style question! Trivia nights are free to play and can have up to six people per team.
- Hail Varsity Club, 12744 Westport Parkway, suite 1A, La Vista, is holding a Valentine’s Day Cocktail Class on Feb. 14 from 7 to 9 p.m.. The interactive workshop features three craft cocktails from the in-house mixologist, Hope McCartney, as well as an appetizer bar and dessert pairing. Tickets are $60 per person.
- Smarty Pints Trivia is every Tuesday at Hail Varsity, 12744 Westport Parkway, suite 1A, La Vista, so on Feb. 14, the trivia theme will be Valentine’s Day “Rom Com.” Trivia is from 7 to 9 p.m. Play individually or as a team with up to six members to win prizes, bragging rights, and more. Team registration opens at 6:30 p.m. and the first question is read at 7 p.m. Heads up: Happy Hour runs until 9 p.m.
- Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St., will have Valentine’s Day Dinner on Feb. 14 (only seating times still open are at 8:30 and 9 p.m.). All guests receive the first course, their choice of one main course, the dessert course and one glass of wine. Cost is $75 per person; reservations are required.
- Love Bites Vampire Ball is Feb. 18 from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Bellevue Berry Farm & Pumpkin Ranch, 11001 S. 48th St., Papillion, Neb. The 21+ event has two ticket options: General Admission for $30 and V.I.P Tickets for $55. V.I.P. Package Includes a Shattered Glass Cupcake, one Drink Ticket and a 8×10 photo from the photo booth.
Galentine’s Day events in Omaha
For the uninitiated, Galentine’s Day is a day to celebrate friendships. It was popularized in a “Parks and Recreation” episode. It’s the day before Valentine’s Day, but often events are planned the weekend before Valentine’s Day.
- Girls Night Out Valentine’s Party is Feb. 7 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at Local Makers Collective, 14232 U St. Spicy gift shopping for ages 18+. FREE
- Galentine’s Party at Harmony Med Spa, 6750 Mercy Road, Suite 4, is Feb. 8 from 3 to 7 p.m. Enjoy champaign, macarons and spa specials.
- Galentine’s Night at Twisted Vine, 123 N. Washington St., Papillion, Neb., is Feb. 8 at 6 p.m. There will be themed cocktails and menu items by Sauced. No cover, but you can hold a table by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Galentine’s High Tea is Feb. 11 from noon to 4 p.m. in the historical Schimmel Ballroom at Kimpton Cottonwood Hotel, 302 S. 36th St. Tea service includes tea bites and local tea offerings. Cost is $62 per person and includes a glass of Prosecco.
- Magic Mike’s Last Dance Galentine’s Event is Feb. 11 at 6:30 p.m. at Aksarben Cinema. There will be wine tasting and charcuterie from 6:30 to 8, and movie starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $40 each and include the admission to the movie, wine tasting, food provided by Backlot Pizza + Kitchen, and a small popcorn.
- A Galentine’s Day fundraiser for Hot Shops Art Center will be Feb. 12 from 1 to 4 p.m. at 1301 Nicholas St. (on the second floor). There will be raffles, door prizes, and make-and-take activities, as well as a chance to shop, eat, drink and listen to music. Tickets go on sale Jan. 14.
- Palentine’s: An Evening For Friends is Feb. 12 at 5 p.m. at Joslyn Castle & Gardens, 3902 Davenport St. Includes a signature cocktail upon entry, the option to graze like royalty on a gorgeous charcuterie spread in the Joslyn’s dining room, aura photography, tarot card reading in a turret, keepsake friendship portraits, and local art and vendors. Castle will be open to explore. Tickets are $35 for everything, or $10 tickets for Activities Only.
- The best part? Be our guest as you explore all three levels of our architectural gem with your pals, with docents stationed throughout to answer any questions.
- Hail Varsity Club, 12744 Westport Parkway, suite 1A, La Vista, is holding a Galentine’s Day Cocktail Class on Feb. 13 from 7 to 9 p.m.. The interactive workshop features three craft cocktails from the in-house mixologist, Hope McCartney, as well as an appetizer bar. Tickets are $40 per person.
Nebraska & Iowa day trips to celebrate Valentine’s Day
There are even more Valentine’s Day events that are just short drive from Omaha. I’ll add to this list as more are announced.
- Select cabins or lodge rooms at Eugene T. Mahoney State Park are available Feb. 10-14 with the option to add on a special Valentine’s package to the reservation that includes items like chocolates, an embroidered blanket, sparkling juice or wine, or tickets to special activities.
- Hillside House of Hell, 114 Greenwood St., Glenwood, Iowa has re-themed its four haunted houses for Cupid’s Killer Valentine’s on Feb. 11 and 12. Tickets are $29.99.
- The restaurant at Platte River State Park will offer a Valentine’s Sunday brunch on Feb. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., as well as a Saturday Steak Night on Feb. 11 from 4 to 8 p.m.
Nebraska City, Nebraska
- Timbers, the restaurant inside Lied Lodge in Nebraska City, will have a Valentine’s Day-inspired menu on Feb. 10 and 11, as well as a Valentine’s Day prix fixe dinner. The prix fixe dinner is $75 per person. Tax and gratuity not included. Reservations are required by calling (402) 873-8740.
- Valentine’s Tea is Feb. 11 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at Arbor Lodge Mansion in Nebraska City. Enjoy an assortment of teas and dainty brunch and dessert selections, along with musical entertainment and a brief history of Valentine’s Day greetings. Cost is $25 per person and includes mansion admission, which will has the special “Celebrate Love” exhibit, featuring displays of Morton Family weddings and vintage Valentine card collections. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Slattery Vintage Estates’ Sweetheart Dinner will be held on Feb. 17 and 18 at 8925 Adams St., Nehawka, Neb. Four courses are included, and cost is $50 per person. Reservations are required by calling (402) 267-5267.
- Enjoy the Birds and Breakfast package at Ponca State Park on Feb. 10 & 11, which includes birding activities, a bird count, 30% lodging discount, breakfast and more.
If you know of any other places in eastern Nebraska that are hosting special events on Valentine’s Day, or around the holiday, leave a comment!