There is a head-spinning amount of events and things to do in Omaha the first weekend of September…AKA Labor Day Weekend. There are several festivals like Septemberfest and its Labor Day Parade, the African Cultural Festival, and Hutchfest. Plus, there are concerts, comedy shows, gallery openings and so much more. There’s no chance of being bored.
UPDATES: This post was first published in 2021 and has been updated in August 2022 with current event information.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
2022 Labor Day Weekend events
There are some events and festivals you can always count on to happen on Labor Day or over Labor Day Weekend (pandemic non-withstanding). And then there are the one-time events and concerts. Here’s a look at the many things planned in Omaha and nearby:
- Omaha Comedy Fest is Sept. 1-4 at various Omaha venues. Highlights include the comediennes from #IMOMSOHARD; Amber Ruffin Hosts the Improv All-Star Show, featuring Grifter; Stand-up Showcase at Benson Theatre; and “King of Kong: A Musical Parody” featuring Amber Ruffin and Lauren Van Kurin.
- The Third Annual African Cultural Festival Omaha is Saturday, Sept. 3, from 2 to 10 p.m. at Stinson Park at Aksarben Village, 2285 S. 67th St. Live music, dance performances, and the chance to learn about different subsets of African art, history, culture and games. Adults are $10-$75 and kids under 12 are FREE.
- Festa Italiana is held every Labor Day Weekend. Details haven’t been updated for 2022.
- Septemberfest is Sept. 2-5 at CHI Health Center Omaha Lot D, 455 N. 10th St., with hours on Friday from 5 to midnight; Saturday & Sunday from noon to midnight; and Monday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Labor Day Parade is in downtown Omaha on Monday at 11 a.m. Cost is $7 at the gate; under 5 is admitted FREE; parade is FREE.
- “Carne y Arena” is at KANEKO, 1111 Jones St. The hours over Labor Day Weekend are Friday & Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed on Mondays. Cost is $40.
- “Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience” is at Mid-America Center, 1 Arena Way, Council Bluffs, Iowa. Cost is $49.95, adults, and $28.99, children. It will be open Thursday through Monday.
- “Maya Dunietz: Root of Two” is on exhibit at Bemis Center Contemporary Arts, 724 S. 12th St. Hours for Labor Day Weekend are Friday-Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. FREE
- Benson First Friday, runs from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. in the Benson neighborhood along Military Avenue and 60th Street. Look for pink chalkboard signs at participating venues that may have art shows, live performances, and food & drink specials. FREE
- Old Market First Friday, 6 to 9 p.m. in the Old Market neighborhood between Harney and Jackson streets and 10tht and 13th streets. Live music and open galleries. FREE
- The Little Bohemia Walking Tour is Saturday, Sept. 3, from 10:30 a.m. to noon starting at 13th and William streets. The cost is $25 per person.
- The Honeycrisp Festival is Saturday through Labor Day from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard, 12102 S. 180th St., Gretna, Neb. Admission is $28.99 per person.
- Hutchfest 2022 is Sunday, Sept. 4, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Millworks Commons, 11th and Nicholas streets, featuring artisans and vintage dealers as well as oversized lawn games and live music. Admission is $10 cash at the door; kids 12 and under are FREE.
- “River City History Tour: From Expositions to Jazz Musicians” is Sunday, Sept. 4, from 2 to 4 p.m. starting at The Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St. Cost is $25 for members and $30 for non-members.
Labor Day Weekend hours at popular attractions
Many of the Omaha metro’s largest attractions will be open for at least part of Labor Day Weekend, some with special hours. Check out the list of just a few of the many places to visit that first weekend in September.
Note: Many businesses and attractions are facing staffing shortages, which has impacted hours – sometimes without advance notice. I recommend contacting the business before your visit to ensure open hours.
- Amazing Pizza Machine, 13955 S Plaza, is open Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. It’s typically closed on Mondays.
- Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St., open Friday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. Closed on Labor Day. This is the final weekend to see “Dinosaur Revolution.”
- Fontenelle Forest & TreeRush Adventure, 111 Bellevue Blvd. N., Bellevue, Neb., forest is open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Open on Labor Day. TreeRush Adventure is open Friday from 4 to 10 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and is open on Labor Day.
- Fun Plex, 7003 Q St., is open Saturday through Labor Day from noon to 7 p.m.
- Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St., open Friday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Open Labor Day from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Louisville State Recreation Area Lake No. 2 is open daily until Labor Day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; hours for the inflatable obstacle course are not posted, but it is open on Saturday and Sunday typically.
- Mahoney State Park summer activity hours for aquatic center (Saturday & Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.), horse trail rides (Saturday, Sunday & Labor Day at 9, 10, 11, 1:30, 2:30, 4 & 5), and venture climb (Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday & Monday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Nebraska Wildlife Safari, 16406 N. 292 St., Ashland, Neb., is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is open on Labor Day.
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, 3701 S. 10th St., is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Open on Labor Day.
- Omaha Children’s Museum, 500 S. 20th St., Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed on Labor Day.
- Papio Fun Park, 210 E. Lincoln St., Papillion, Neb. Will be open Friday from 4 to 9 p.m., Saturday & Sunday from noon to 9 p.m., and Labor Day from noon to 6 p.m.
- Scatter Joy Acres, 4966 Newport Ave., is open on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 3 p.m. Closed on Labor Day.
- Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum, 28210 W. Park Highway, Ashland, Neb., is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is open on Labor Day.
If you still want a few more ideas, there are several great options on this list of 40+ things to do in Omaha this summer.
Saturday 4th of September 2021
Just a heads up, Hutchfest is not free! Tickets at the door.
Saturday 4th of September 2021
Thanks! My mistake. I’ll fix that.