Pettit’s Pastry has always been my family’s go to for donuts in Omaha. However, I haven’t tried every donut shop in Omaha (#lifegoals), so I can’t say Pettit’s has the best donuts in Omaha.
But, I’ve done something far better for my waistline: Polled Facebook. I asked about 10,000 Oh My! Omaha followers* to share their favorites and we have a pretty clear consensus of favorites, plus a ton of highly recommended runners-up.
This post was published in 2018 but updated in July 2019 to reflect some unfortunate store closures.
Here are readers’ top 3:
Omaha’s Favorite Donuts
It turns out Pettit’s isn’t the No. 1 donut shop in Omaha for everyone, but it’s ranked up there. I have two I have to visit now to compare.
1. Olsen Bake Shop ran away with the votes, beating out No. 2 by more than double the votes. It’s family-run and a bit old school, and if you’re dying for a kolach, you can find it here.
More than a year after writing this post, I’ve tried Olsen donuts a few times. and it has successfully moved to No. 1 on my list. You’ll find this gem off-the-beaten path a few blocks south of the Old Market at 1708 S. 10th St.
2. Bob’s Donuts is relatively new in town, but already a favorite for many. Think artisan donuts that are darn Instagrammable. Find it in the trendy neighborhood, Blackstone District at 3824 Farnam St., Suite 122. Incidentally, you can also get chicken here.
3. Pettit’s Pastry came in third. The family-owned business has been open since 1954. It also happens to be pretty conveniently located near the route of a lot of parades, making it a great go-to stop before or after parades like the Septemberfest Parade.
Find Pettit’s in downtown Omaha at 502 N. 16th St.
Best Omaha Donuts Not At Donut Shops
OK, so I’ve said Pettit’s a million times now. Let me share a few other gems worth seeking out:
– The freshly-made apple cider donuts at Ditmars Orchard & Vineyard in Council Bluffs, Iowa, is just about my favorite thing of fall. You can find six packs of the donuts in local grocery stores but they can’t compare to tasting one while it’s still warm at the orchard.
Ditmars is at 19475 225th St., Council Bluffs, Iowa. Learn more about the orchard here.
– A surprise donut favorite is Harold’s Koffee House. I’d first heard about this Florence restaurant from a reader who suggested it be included in the best places to get breakfast in Omaha list. She specifically mentioned the donut. So I had to go and try it myself.
The homemade donut was so good, I can’t remember what else I had ordered. Head to North Omaha for this diner at 8327 N. 30th St.
Here’s a full list of everyone’s recommendations for best donuts:
Sweet Magnolias Bake Shop, 813 N. 40th St.
The Uptown Bakery, 2229 Thurston Circle, Bellevue, Neb.
Donut Haven, 13807 P St.
Mad Ox Bakery (which has closed its bricks and mortar store in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and now just takes orders)
Sunrize Donuts, 17676 Welch Plaza, Suite 7
Hello Sugar, find out which event you’ll find these donuts at here
Culprit Cafe, 1603 Farnam St., Suite 101
Jones Bros. Cupcakes, 2121 S. 67th St., 2615 S. 180th St., and inside Westroads Mall. Looking for cronuts? Jones Bros. apparently makes them.
And some franchises that got some recommendations include LaMar’s and Donut Professor.
Got a favorite to add? Leave a comment about it!
Stay In The Know!
Subscribe to the FREE twice a month(ish) e-newsletter sharing what’s new in Omaha, giveaways, family travel ideas, and more! Subscribe here.