This post may contain affiliate links. Purchases made through these kinds of links means bloggers like me earn a small amount of money, which helps support this blog. It’s no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Personal resolutions are big this time of year. Ever make a family resolution?
On my list? “Let’s be more active.”
Lucky for you, Omaha is a great place for active families. Here are some fun ideas to increase your activity level:
Explore the outdoors
Here are a few ideas to get your family moving more outside:
- Membership to Fontenelle Forest or Lauritzen Gardens: You can’t help but be active when you visit beautiful places like these. Walking and hiking, check. Plus, add in all that Vitamin D from the sunlight, all that fresh air…it’s mentally good for your family.
- State Parks pass: You don’t think you’ll use it yet, but you’d be silly not to. Head to Mahoney State Park now to tobogan with the kiddos and to let them run wild at the Activity Center (there’s an ice skating rink there). Then, start visiting nearby parks when the weather warms up to explore lakes, hike and be adventurous.
- If you’re new to hiking, there are a few things to consider packing that first time around: Water bottles for everyone (I love the Camelbak bottles for kids like the this one and adults like this one; also consider packing a snack for everyone, sunscreen, bug spray and a first aid kit (something compact like the light dayhiker First Aid Kit),
Below you’ll see some ideas for games inside and out, but first, some places in Omaha that encourages families to play together inside:
- Skate Daze: Just brought the kids to this indoor entertainment center for the first time in December and they have been asking when we can go back. The Playdazium is a huge tunnel system that adults are allowed to climb in with their kids (I’m only partly joking when I say you might want to consider wearing kneepads), plus they have laser tag, and of course, one of the best skating rinks in the country.
- Amazing Pizza Machine: Break a sweat chasing down your kids in laser tag or challenge them to a basketball shootout here.
- Sky Zone Omaha: Just 30 minutes here is a good workout for you, but it’ll probably be too fun for you to notice. It was for me.
- The Salvation Army Kroc Center: A family membership gets you all the benefits of a gym membership, as well as admission to family-friendly activities likeInflatable Fridays in the Pool, which my family went to last year and had a lot of fun (they have a little lazy river and slide). Other activities for the family include Family Fit H20, Healthy Home Project, FitnessGram® and Sunday Fundays.
Not up for spending a lot of money to go somewhere to play? Here are some fun games for the home:
Once it warms up and you want to go outside…
Your turn: How does your family stay active together? Where do you go?