OCI is so much more than that these days – workshops, special events, Community Supported Art, and more. It’s a place for those of us who thrive on learning something new, and find inspiration in our creative friends. Keep reading to find out how you can save 25% on registration for workshops!
Update: Omaha Creative Institute has evolved into Amplify Arts. Learn more about the nonprofit here.
Here are five things I learned after a recent chat with Andrew Saladino and Caitlin Osborn from Omaha Creative Institute:
1. They offer a variety of workshops open to the public.
These one-day workshops range from oil painting to writing sonnets. If you ever wanted to pick up a new hobby, here’s your chance to be inspired.
2. Local artists teach the workshops.
This is one of my favorite things about Omaha Creative Institute: They’ve created outlets for artists to sustainable career.
3. Workshops are open to adults and children ages 12 and older.
I had no idea that older kids could attend workshops, but they’re totally welcome! Recently, they even had a workshop on puppetry that was open to all ages. Keep an eye on the OCI workshops page for future events.
4. They have the best fundraiser coming up (especially if you love dogs).
Bring the whole family to Omaha Creative Institute presents: Hounds of Louvre – An Art Show For Dogs (& their humans) on April 2, including your fur baby. The event, held in paw-tnership with the Nebraska Humane Society, runs from 2 to 5 p.m. at The Omaha Design Center, 1502 Cuming St. There will be artwork made for humans, as well as correlating pieces created to delight your dog’s senses. You can make your own paw-impression artwork with your pet, and meet the dogs up for adoption that day through the NHS.
Admission is FREE, though activities may be an additional fee. Artwork will be available for purchase.
5. You can get a discount on workshops!
Oh My! Omaha readers can enjoy at discount on workshops in 2017. Use promo code OHMY2017 when registering to receive your discount. Here are the spring classes to choose from:
– Animating Locomotion, March 11, 10 a.m. to noon ($35/person, $25/student/teacher/working artist) Register
– Writing Life Stories, March 25,10 a.m. to noon ($35/person, $25/student/teacher/working artist) Register
– Cold Wax/Oil Painting, April 8, noon to 4 p.m. ($65/person, $50/student/teacher/working artist) Register
– Shakespeare Sonnets 101, April 22, 10 a.m. to noon ($35/person, $25/student/teacher/working artist)
– Intuitive Painting, May 6, 10 a.m. to noon ($35/person, $25/student/teacher/working artist)
Fall workshops will be announced this summer, and the OHMY2017 promo code will work on registering for them, too!