Looking for the Railroad Days 2018 post? Click here!
Update: The Family Pass giveaway has ended. Congrats to Shane T. and Lisa H.!
The annual event that celebrates all things railroad – Railroad Days – is back and this year, the event organizers will be highlighting railroads’ connections to national parks. The family-friendly event is July 16 and 17 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at six unique railroad-themed attractions in Omaha and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Read on to see what special activities are planned plus how you can win a family pass to attend!
A family pass gets your family into Lauritzen Gardens, The Durham Museum, the Union Pacific Railroad Museum, the RailsWest Railroad Museum, the Historic General Dodge House and the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail on both days. Most of these attractions usually have an admission fee, so the family pass is a great deal!
Our region has a rich railroad heritage and you can learn more about it during Railroad Days 2016. In addition to their regular exhibits and offerings, attractions will offer activities and educational opportunities in support of this year’s theme: All Set for the West: Railroads and National Parks. There will be several hands-on activities for children as well as the opportunity to get really close to huge engines, plus a chance to ride a mini-locomotive!
17 Things To Do During Railroad Days 2016
– Get up close to Centennial No. 6900 and Big Boy No. 4023 at Union Pacific Railroad at Kenefick Park.
– Visit the model railroad garden. This area is a kid-favorite!
– Rides on board the popular Union Pacific miniature train, an innovative scale model of a 900-series locomotive.
– Enjoy model train exhibits, an 18-inch passenger train made from LEGO® bricks, railroad ditties from entertainer Paul Siebert, as well as children’s activities and 100 acres of display gardens.
– Where: First and Bancroft streets
THE DURHAM MUSEUM
– See Union Pacific’s beautiful Denver, Rio Grande and Western Heritage locomotive. The heritage locomotive will be located on trackside for guests to see up close and take photos.
– Freight Train Frank will perform railroad songs.
– Explore the summer exhibition, “Odyssey’s SHIPWRECK! Pirates & Treasure”
– Where: 801 S. 10th St.
UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD MUSEUM
– See exhibit celebrating railroads and the National Park service, including Union Pacific photography and parks-centric marketing materials
– See the original motion picture film from the Union Pacific Movie department from the 1940s-1950s filmed on location in Yellowstone, Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks as part of the exhibit.
– Where: 200 Pearl St., Council Bluffs, Iowa
RAILSWEST RAILROAD MUSEUM
– Tour the historic Rock Island Depot’s displays and artifacts from the numerous rail lines that passed through Council Bluffs.
– H.O. scale model train layout operated by the Greater Omaha Society of Model Engineers
– Climb aboard old steam engines outdoors
– Where: 16th Avenue and South Main Street, Council Bluffs, Iowa
HISTORIC GENERAL DODGE HOUSE
– Tour the Victorian home of one of Council Bluffs’ most famous residents, General Grenville M. Dodge, “the greatest railroad builder of all time.”
– Where: 605 Third St., Council Bluffs, Iowa
LEWIS AND CLARK NATIONAL HISTORIC TRAIL
– Visit the trail’s headquarters and interact with displays about animals, uniforms, plants, and the American Indians important to the expedition’s success. Read about what kids will like at the visitors center in this post I wrote earlier this spring!
– Where: Located next to the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge on the Omaha side
If you go
Railroad Days 2016
When: July 16 or 17, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Cost: $15 for family pass (two adults and up to four dependent children), $5 pass is available for one additional adult with the purchase of a family pass. Purchase tickets at all venues during Railroad Days (except of the Lewis and Clark Trail). Guests can still start their day at Lewis and Clark and then purchase their pass at the next location. No pre-sale tickets will be sold.
Tip: Parking is available at all six venues.
I’m giving away TWO (2) Family Passes to Railroad Days 2016! There are two ways to enter:
- Follow @ohmyomaha on Instagram and leave a comment below that you are a follower. One winner will be drawn Wednesday, July 13, using random.org. Because of the quick turnaround, the winner will need to respond to the email I send within 24 hours.
- One subscriber will automatically receive a Family Pass to Railroad Days. If you are not a subscriber, you can subscribe for FREE here. I will contact the winner on Wednesday, July 13. The winner will have 24 hours to respond before I draw another name.