At what age should you stop going out with friends to celebrate your birthday? Trick question. There is no age limit to having fun and making your birthday special. If your birthday is coming soon, and you want to celebrate it in Omaha, keep on reading.
If money or time wasn’t holding you back, you could plan an epic trip to celebrate your birthday — a lot of people plan them for milestone birthdays. Take, for example, this list of 40th birthday trip ideas.
You don’t need to travel to have a fun birthday celebration when you’re an adult, though!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Celebrating Your Birthday In Omaha (For Adults)
Play On: Bingo, Trivia, Arcade Bars & Game Cafes
Yeah, that's right: I said you can play on your birthday. Get your smartest friends together to dominate trivia night at a bar, or go play some retro arcade games. Try your luck at music bingo or a rousing board game with your buds at one of these other fun places:
- Beercade and Beercade 2, 6104 Maple St. and 1423 S. 13th St., Omaha
- Spielbound Board Game Cafe, 3239 Harney St., Omaha
- CTRL Coffee & Cereal Bar, 1016 S. 10th St., Suite 100 (play old school Nintendo and Sega games here)
Dine Like Royalty
Now that we’re grown-ups, we can treat ourselves to top-notch dining experiences on our birthdays. Whether you want a seat at the chef’s table or you just want a margarita flight, there’s a place in Omaha for it:
Go On A Scavenger Hunt
There are a number of themed scavenger hunts for groups, including one that takes you into Omaha bars and another that has you trying to survive in a zombie apocalypse.
- Omaha Bar Hunt
- Zombie Scavengers Of Omaha
- Omaha City Scavenger Hunt Excursion by Operation City Quest
- Wacky Walks Scavenger Hunt in Omaha
- Omaha Scavenger Hunt: The West’s Glorious Gateway
- Outstanding Omaha Scavenger Hunt (this one's discounted more than $10 off right now!)
Treat Yo-Self: Spa Day
Not all of us can have a weekly or monthly massage or facial. But getting one on your birthday? That can be arranged. Here are some of Omaha’s best spas, plus nail salons if you feel like going out with your bestie and getting pampered together.
Celebrate Over A Slice Of Pizza
Pizza shops are my favorite low-key restaurants to hang out at with friends. Everyone’s happy when there’s pizza involved. Here are 30 of the city’s best pizzerias to choose from.
Laugh Hard At A Comedy Club
When’s the last time you had a good belly laugh with your friends? Reserve a table at one of these comedy clubs if it’s been too long to remember.
- Funny Bone, 17305 Davenport St., Omaha
- The Backline Comedy Theatre, 1618 Harney St., Omaha
- Tiny House Bar’s Broken Magic Comedy Hour (select Thursdays), 1411 S. 13th St., Omaha
Enjoy Bottomless Brunch Beverages
I'll leave the bottomless mimosas to youngsters in your 20s. Bottom’s up!
- Crescent Moon, 3578 Farnam St., Omaha
- Jams, 1101 Harney St. and 7814 Dodge St., Omaha
- Mantra Bar & Grille, 6913 Maple St., Omaha
- More brunch spots in Omaha (with and without bottomless beverages)
Take A Scenic Hike
Fresh air, wild flowers, wildlife…if you need a break from the city, head to one of these trails. Bring a friend to keep you company.
Celebrate At A Rooftop Bar
Omaha has a surprising number of roof-top bars. If you want a rooftop bar with a pool, head west to Barrel & Vine. You want a chill rooftop to people watch from afar, try 1912 in Benson. For a little upscale night out, there’s a bar at The Peregrine Hotel in downtown Omaha called The Takeoff.
- Barrel & Vine, 1311 S. 203rd St., Omaha
- 1912 Benson, 6201 Maple St., Omaha (temporarily closed for renovations)
- The Takeoff, 203 S. 18th St., Omaha
Omaha Staycation With Friends
Stay overnight somewhere fun with friends, and have a fun night out (or in)! I've gathered the 10 highest ranked hotels in the city for you to start planning your adventure. If you need some inspiration, though, here are a couple ideas:
- Kimpton Cottonwood Hotel in the Blackstone District, which has Reno’s Karaoke, Bob & Willy’s Wonderbowl and fun bars
- Glamping at Lake Cunningham and roast s’mores
Healthy Competition Among Friends
Fun On A Farm
Of all the random outings I’ve had with friends and my sister, goat yoga has to be one of the funniest. There’s very little yoga to be done, though. It’s mostly just cuddling baby goats. You’re OK with that, right?
But if goats aren’t your thing, there are other ideas for a unique farm adventure (these are mostly going to be a little outside of Omaha, for obvious reasons):
- Pick your own bouquet at a flower maze
- Feed alpacas
Take An Omaha Brewery Tour
Omaha’s craft beer scene is ever-growing, and a few of the breweries will take you behind-the-scenes to watch how your favorite beer is made.
- Brickway Brewery & Distillery, 1116 Jackson St., Omaha
- Nebraska Brewing Co., 6950 S. 108th St., Omaha
Take The Patio Ride Pub Crawl
If you’ve spent any time in the Old Market on a warm day, you’ve likely seen (or at least heard) a group riding the Omaha Patio Ride. Essentially, you and your friends paddle a multi-seat bike around downtown Omaha (someone else “drives”), while enjoying a beverage or two.
Taco Ride Shenanigans
Now, a bike ride that’s more of my speed is the Thursday night Taco Ride on the Wabash Trace Nature Trail – a ride that starts in Council Bluffs, meets up with a hundred or two fellow bikers in Mineola, and then turning around to ride back to your car. It’s a ton of fun, but if you’re new to it, be sure you bring a helmet and bike light.
Get Creative With Friends
Visit one of the creative make-and-take spots and it’s a win-win for everyone: Both you and friends get to be creative and everyone gets to bring home their creations.
- The Makery, 12100 W. Center Road, Suite 1101, Omaha
- The Candle House, 112 N. McKenna Ave., Gretna, Neb.
Don’t forget, a number of Omaha restaurants have free entrees, desserts, or other treats for birthdays.
Just because you’re over 21, doesn’t mean the celebrations end when you have a birthday. It also doesn’t mean you have to bar hop with friends (unless you want to). There are plenty of memorable ways to celebrate your day.