“Shrek The Musical” has a special place in my heart: It was the first Broadway musical my son has seen. Though I find it impossible that he remembers any of it, he swears that he does.
So I’m super excited to see that this twisted and fun fairy tale will be staged at The Rose Theater starting this Friday! If you’ve been thinking of going, read on – there’s a chance to win tickets at the end of post!
5 Things To Know About Shrek The Musical
1. This version of “Shrek The Musical,” which has been adapted specifically for young audiences. This version is 75 minutes long with no intermission, making it a condensed version of the Broadway version. It still has “Let Your Freak Flag Fly,” so don’t worry.
2. The familiar characters from the movie are in the musical, including Dragon, the tiny Lord Farquaad and Gingy. I bet you’re curious how costume designer Sherri Geerdes created the look for Lord Farquaad, aren’t you?
3. It has an important message for children: All of us have a place in this world.
4. Members to The Rose receive four FREE tickets to the performance – and if you’re thinking of buying a membership now, don’t wait. Rose memberships are limited, and are close to selling out. The Rose does not expect memberships to be available for purchase beyond the production of :Shrek The Musical.”
5. This show is recommended for ages 5 and older.
If you go
“Shrek The Musical”
Where: The Rose Theater, 2001 Farnam St.
When: Sept. 30 through Oct. 16; performances are Fridays at 7 p.m., Saturdays at 2 and 5 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. There will be additional performances on Sunday, Oct. 9, at 5 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 16, at 5 p.m. The 2 p.m. show on Saturday, Oct. 8, will be interpreted for people who are deaf or hard of hearing; the 5 p.m. show on Saturday, Oct. 8, is designated as sensory-friendly, with special accommodations made for families attending with a child on the autism spectrum.
Cost: $20; discount ticket vouchers are available at all area Hy-Vee stores. Members receive four FREE tickets. Purchase tickets online here.
The Rose has teamed up with me to give one reader FOUR tickets to see any 5 p.m. performance of “Shrek The Musical.” It’s easy to enter using the Rafflecopter form below! Must 18 or older to enter.