Since its premiere in 1939, “The Wizard of Oz” has enchanted generations of children – mine included.
So I was pretty excited when I heard the North American touring production of “The Wizard of Oz” was coming to Omaha’s Orpheum Theater. It opens Dec. 8, and I’m taking my family to it!
Omaha Performing Arts invited me and some fellow bloggers to write about our favorite scenes from the movie. (Disclaimer: I’m an employee at Omaha Performing Arts, but this post is not for my job but as a local blogger.)
Why write about a movie?
Because this theatrical production is the closest ever to the movie. With that in mind, I’m sharing my favorite scenes and moments from the original Judy Garland movie in hopes I’ll see it all brought to life in live theater next week.
Here are my Top 5 moments in “The Wizard of Oz”
1. “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” – It’s arguably one of the best movie songs ever. I’ll be waiting to hear that first note of the song.
2. Munchkinland – I remember seeing the colorful Land of Oz for the first time as a child. It was magical, just that cinematic switch from black and white to color. I’m curious how they’ll accomplish this feat live
3. The horse of a different color – This four-legged guy in the movie enchants my kids as much as did me back in the day. Let’s see how the horse in the Emerald City is brought to life in this production.
4. The Cowardly Lion – Of the three friends who join Dorothy on the yellow brick road, I loved the Cowardly Lion the most. There’s no deep meaning behind it, though. I just always thought he was the funniest, especially after his makeover in the Emerald City. That part cracks my kids up, too.
5. Toto – My second favorite friend of Dorothy’s is actually her little dog, Toto. Because of the nature of my job, I know way more about the dog playing Toto in this show than most. Nigel is a rescue dog who’s treated like a cast member – he even has a bio in the program book (as does his understudy). The first time Toto runs out on stage, you can bet there will be some “ahhhs” from the audience.
If you go
Omaha Performing Arts presents “The Wizard of Oz”
When: Tuesday, Dec. 8, through Sunday, Dec. 12
Where: Omaha’s Orpheum Theater, 409 S. 16th St.
Get tickets here: Hurry and you might be able to get the Black Friday 40% off discount on tickets! The sale ends Monday, Nov. 30, while supplies last.
What do you love about the movie? What from the movie are you excited to see live on stage?
Disclaimer: I was provided complimentary tickets to the performance from Omaha Performing Arts in exchange for promoting the production. All opinions are my own, and do not represent Omaha Performing Arts.